Tuesday, November 29, 2011

John C Campbell Folk School

I have been off blog, as opposed to off world, for a few weeks.  Lets catch up.  I spent the week of Nov 13 at the John C Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC.  If you are wondering what it is or where, click the link and check it out.  They teach all kinds of crafts: pottery, wood working, blacksmithing, cooking and quilting for just a few.  Of course, I took a quilting class.  With Georgia Bonesteel from ETV fame of Lap Quilting with Georgia.  She was a great teacher on ETV and was even better in person.  The quilt we made is called Scrap Soup.  You can make it scrappy or not.  Mine is scrappy, coordinated, kind of. 
Here is mine in progress.  This much is sewn together with another section ready to sew together.  So, I am about half way thru the top.  The little green things at the top of the rows are number labels to keep it in order.  It is hard to tell, but the background is scrappy navy and dark gray, almost black.  The flowers or as Georgia called them, diamonds are a little coordinated.
Here is Georgia holding up a child size quilt in the same pattern.  I think this would make a great baby quilt.  Notice the scraps are all in the background and the flowers are all the same.  It had a very clean cool look.
This is every ones quilt on display the last morning we were there.  They are all beautiful.  See the 2nd from the right??  This was our over achiever, she just lacked sewing a few rows to having her top finished.
This was a great group of gals.  I met new friends and had a great time.

Oh yes,  the food was great.  I mean really great.  Fresh, green, not institutional food at all.  And best of all, I didnt gain any weight, yea!!!

Almost forgot to add, Georgia is writing a new quilt book.  She hopes to have it out in about a year.  This pattern should be in the book, so keep you eye out for her new book.
Happy Quilting, Vicki

Monday, November 7, 2011


A little blurry, but at nite the light is bad.  What do you think of my crumb blocks.  I want to put sashing between them, otherwise they mush too much.  So I am testing sashing.  From left to right: red, purple, black with navy below it, and yellow.  I think I might go with the navy, since I have a bunch of 1 1/2 inch strips already cut the scrap box. Just thought of lime green.  Will try tomorrow when the light is much better.  There will be one more row down the side and then borders.  Just ran out of room on this table cloth design wall.  I have to pin everything on or they start falling off when I add new ones to it.  Do you see the 16 patch black and white check in the middle?  That is left from a border of a Christmas wall hanging that I really need to get quilted.  There are 9 patches left over from RRCB, Bonnie Hunters mystery quilt last Nov.  Wonder what her new mystery will look like.  We will have to wait and see.  The first clue goes up on her blog Nov. 18. Check out Bonnies Blog if you want a mystery that will turn out great.  I have done 3.

Happy Quilting,

Saturday, November 5, 2011

One Block Wonder

Up date status on my One Block Wonder.  The blocks are on the design wall.  It is a stack and whack type of thing.  My fabric sure has a lot of orange in it.   This piece of fabric was very slippery and I have had a lot of trouble working with it.  Especially cutting it out.  I almost trashed it.  Now I am to far into it to trash.  A lot of these quilts have cubes added, but I decided not to at this point.  But subject to change.  You know a woman's prerogative is to change her mind.

The great thing about quilt retreat is seeing all of the friends I have made all over our state.  I always try to eat my meal with a different group, so I can visit with lots of them. 

Happy Quilting, Vicki

Tie Quilt

Customers quilt made from men's ties.  A group of ladies did these and then drew names for the blocks.  My customer won.  They lost their house to a fire last year and the blocks were one of the few things saved.  I put a spiderweb in one block.  Every crazy quilt should have a spiderweb. Some straight line quilting and a few feathers made each block different.  I think it turned out very well.