Sunday, September 7, 2008

Old Tobbaco Road




I have made my 4 patches for Old Tobbaco Road by Bonnie Hunter. Here is a picture of the fabric getting ready for strip piecing. Now they are cut and stacked at 2 patches, ready to sew again. Next are the finished 4 patches before ironing. DH is using the iron right now. Yes, he is making another quilt. Hush, I am not supposed to tell. I cant post any pictures or tell you about it until he is finished. SOOO, I have to hush.
The last picture of yellows will be my pinwheels for OTR. If you havent seen tobbaco growing, it starts bright green, gets a little darker and as it starts drying turns yellow, then to shades of browns or tobbaco color. My grandaddy smoked cigars, so I saw a lot of the tobbaco colors when I was growing up. I also had a chance, in the late 1970's, to see an auction house where tobbaco was sold. The bundles were beautiful golden bowns and the smell was wonderful. It is a shame it is so bad for our health.
Digging in my fabric had been fun. I am not going to buy any fabric for this quilt. The lites in the 4 patches were left over from the backs on some charity quilts I did. It worked out as just enough. The lights for the pinwheels will be a little more mixed up, which is more fun. But we work with what we have. There is not a quilt shop, fabric store, or Wal-mart that has fabric with in 45 miles of here. We make do. I do love scrap quilts.
Now what color am I going to make my bricks. Darker browns and maybe so mutted reds??? We will see.
Vicki

1 comment:

scraphappy said...

I love your OTR colors. Have you thought about blue for the bricks. It would look like sky.